From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Escape velocity
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:24:11 GMT

Benson Margulies wrote:
> As a mentor, it's my practice to occasionally look at
> and deliver a nudge here and there.
> The two glaring absences for Jena are new committers and releases. Any
> thoughts about pushing in one of those directions?

Hi Benson

In relation to new committers:

I am in favour of adding new (and active) committers. We have recently seen
interesting and useful contributions (via patches) on JIRA. However, I've
not acted on this since I am not 100% sure what is the 'right' way to propose
a new committer. If there is any guide on this could you point me at it (just
in case I missed it)?

In relation to releases:

Maybe one way to speed up things would be to separate the "doing an Apache
release" from "restructuring Jena modules". If we want to do the two at the
same time, in one shot. It will necessarily take more time.
My concern is that cutting Apache release is something new we all need to
learn and the best way to learn this IMHO is just doing it and quickly repair
to any of mistakes we might do with minor bug fix releases.
Another difficulty is the fact that we have modules with different version
numbers and different life-cycles (or speeds). I do not know how this is best
managed in other Apache projects.

View raw message