From Simon Helsen <>
Subject Re: Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:59:01 GMT

in theory we could do this, but it would require us to patch which is
always painful because we need to get each change we make approved by our
open source people. Moreover, in the case of TDB Tx, it is a bit more
tricky because of the use of Java 6 library functions

Having said this, I am hopeful it won't be an issue. I know that our
default packaged delivery will ship with Java 6, but there is currently no
closure on whether we have to stay Java 5 compatible for older web
containers. I am hoping that this restriction will be lifted. Obviously,
considerations like this will be taken into account, but as always, the
customer is king and if we have too many of those on WAS 6.x (which I
doubt), product management may decide to stick to it.

Paolo Castagna <>
08/04/2011 08:30 AM
Re: Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?

Hi Simon,
as an alternative to the retroweaver option suggested by Benson,
couldn't you compile and repackage TDB yourself using Java 5?

I've just tried myself and once you fix a few @Overwrite annotations
everything else seems fine to (unless, I made terrible mistakes in
configuring Eclipse to use|emulate Java 5. Possible).
Having someone else try and confirm this would be useful.

Of course, if correct, this is the current status (it might change
in such a way that this becomes not an easy option).