From Simon Helsen <>
Subject Re: Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:02:55 GMT

a quick summary of our situation. Our current release (June 2011) supports
Java 5 and it is still in the air if we will require Java 6 for our next
release. Our problem is mostly customers still using WAS 6.x which is
based on Java 5. I cannot give a firmer answer at this point. At worst, we
won't upgrade our TDB version :-)

Simon Helsen, Ph.D.
Advisory Software Engineer - Jazz Foundation Server

Phone: 1-519-471-9292 | Mobile: 1-226-973-8118 | Tie-Line: 23157390

Andy Seaborne <>
08/03/2011 06:44 AM
Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?

Java7 is out. [*] [+]

We have in the past had a policy of supporting "two major Java
versions".  I think all the released modules are Java 1.5 except Fuseki
(which isn't yet a library anyway) and TxTDB is Java6, for the more
complete library and better conncurrency implementation.

I propose we set the supported Java version to Java6.

This means resetting the POMs and Eclipse project settings; class file
versions will change.

To users:

Are there any problems created by dropping formal support for Java5?
(which is past it's Sun/Oracle end of life anyway).  It's not that there
will be sudden large changes in the codebase. I think IBM still provide
Java5 support for their Java for a while yet but is that

[*] and there is some debate:

[+] I have not tried it, nor tried the optimizations in question on Java6.