From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for August 2011 (
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:51:55 GMT
On 7 August 2011 17:52, Andy Seaborne <> wrote:
> On 07/08/11 10:14, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 23:14 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> On 6 August 2011 18:33, Andy Seaborne<>
>>>  wrote:

> Is your concern really the wording of the report?

Yes, I think it is.

> How about:
> """
> The project uses the Apache-based developer list exclusively and is now
> encouraging users to use the Apache-hosted user mailing list by regular
> reminder and an automatically added a trailer on all messages on the old
> user list.
> """

> Jena has been running for over 10 years now.  The user community is
> important. Why is an active (old) mailing list bad and how does discouraging
> the the user list on Yahoo help the project?

We discussed this when you came into the incubator. We agreed that
taking it slowly was a good approach. It's 10 months now and only now
is it reported that migration has started (other notes in this thread
indicates that in fact awareness raising started some time ago).
Remember most people in the Incubator PMC are completely unaware of
everything happening here other than what is written in the report.

In terms of why discouraging the Yahoo list helps the project - you
can't graduate with an official user channel that is not hosted on ASF
infrastructure. Andy has suggested putting a date on the full
migration. I think this makes sense, but as I noted in my reply to
Andy I think this should be done in the next report when the community
has had chance to discuss a full strategy.

View raw message