From Marco Neumann <>
Subject Re: Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:40:34 GMT
from my observations I can say that quite a number of production
systems still come with Java 5 as default JVMs. So I would at least
provide a Java5 compatible zip as a download for major milestones for
the next 2 years or so.

That said I've switched to JVM6 64bit now on all lotico sites and am
very happy with the robustness, though I do not see any significant
performance benefits for <100M stores.

I really would like to see native result set caching sooner than
later. Any plans for such opulence? :-)

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Andy Seaborne
<> wrote:
> On 03/08/11 12:12, Damian Steer wrote:
>> On 3 Aug 2011, at 11:42, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> Java7 is out. [*] [+]
>>> We have in the past had a policy of supporting "two major Java
>>> versions".  I think all the released modules are Java 1.5 except
>>> Fuseki (which isn't yet a library anyway) and TxTDB is Java6, for
>>> the more complete library and better conncurrency implementation.
>> Remind me, what are the differences here? What are you using? The
>> only thing I trip up on is String#isEmpty (yes, it took them 6
>> revisions to add this).
> Bug fixes :-) is the biggest item.  Java6 seems to have a certain amount of
> "Java 1.5, fixed" about it.
> Deque's and BlockingDeque; e.g. Stack => ArrayDeque
> I also use @Override on interface methods.  The odd method like
> String.isEmpty.
>>> I propose we set the supported Java version to Java6.
>> +1. I'd normally suggest some sort of relaxation period (7 is very
>> fresh after all), but 6 has been around for an awfully long time now.
>> Here at Bristol University many production systems are using 6, and
>> I'd class them as fairly conservative.
> Yes - my sense is that Java6 is the norm, both from bug fix POV and because
> Java 1.5 is EOL.  (We/Epimorphics had two different Java-ism in one day only
> this week, and this was between builds of 1.6.0 and/or the kernel.)
> I'm not expecting fast Java7 uptake for deployed systems.  I don't know how
> much FUD there is and how much real issues; I have no real need to rush to
> Java7 and a lot of other things to do.
> It's more that the Java7 release reminded me of the "two version" policy.
>  Until Java7 hits the Ubuntu repos, I'm not going to install it.  Fork/join
> is interesting ... but Scala is more interesting.
>> Damian
>        Andy

Marco Neumann

Join us at the Semantic Web Media Summit in New York City for an
exciting event on 14 September 2011

View raw message