From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Jena and Java version : drop Java 1.5?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:03:02 GMT

On 03/08/11 12:12, Damian Steer wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2011, at 11:42, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> Java7 is out. [*] [+]
>> We have in the past had a policy of supporting "two major Java
>> versions".  I think all the released modules are Java 1.5 except
>> Fuseki (which isn't yet a library anyway) and TxTDB is Java6, for
>> the more complete library and better conncurrency implementation.
> Remind me, what are the differences here? What are you using? The
> only thing I trip up on is String#isEmpty (yes, it took them 6
> revisions to add this).

Bug fixes :-) is the biggest item.  Java6 seems to have a certain amount
of "Java 1.5, fixed" about it.

Deque's and BlockingDeque; e.g. Stack => ArrayDeque

I also use @Override on interface methods.  The odd method like

>> I propose we set the supported Java version to Java6.
> +1. I'd normally suggest some sort of relaxation period (7 is very
> fresh after all), but 6 has been around for an awfully long time now.
> Here at Bristol University many production systems are using 6, and
> I'd class them as fairly conservative.

Yes - my sense is that Java6 is the norm, both from bug fix POV and
because Java 1.5 is EOL.  (We/Epimorphics had two different Java-ism in
one day only this week, and this was between builds of 1.6.0 and/or the

I'm not expecting fast Java7 uptake for deployed systems.  I don't know
how much FUD there is and how much real issues; I have no real need to
rush to Java7 and a lot of other things to do.

It's more that the Java7 release reminded me of the "two version"
policy.  Until Java7 hits the Ubuntu repos, I'm not going to install it.
  Fork/join is interesting ... but Scala is more interesting.

> Damian

View raw message