From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Publishing a SNAPSHOT on the Maven Snapshot repository at Apache...
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 16:51:08 GMT

On 19/05/11 17:29, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Benson Margulies wrote:
>> aren't you all planning to change the group I'd?
> Yes, but Andy suggested to try to make a release within Apache
> minimizing disruption for users (i.e. not changing package names
> or Maven groupId), at least this is what I understood from:
> LARQ is in a different situation since it's a module coming out
> of ARQ, we decided to put it in the right place since the beginning
> and we are using org.apache.jena.* as packages.
> Does it make sense?
> Paolo

The "plan" is:

1/ Import [Done]
2/ Working set  [Done]
3/ Build

Start to make the build Apache-compatible.
Use the current independent set of builds.

==> Jena 2.7

4/ Restructure

Reorganise into a integrated build system.
   code projects, dependency linked.
   multiple build artifacts (distribution, ogsi, one-jar, war, ....)

5/ Technical changes

==> Jena 3

This breaks the bootstrap into smaller steps.

I see package renaming as a major version change - Jena3.

I am hoping we can do releases, 2.7.X under existing package structure.

Existing open source projects moving to Apache may well need to consider
carefully how they will approach this transition.

Is this OK?

View raw message