From lists lists <>
Subject Query about licensing contributions
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:52:55 GMT

sorry to bug the list about this, but I'm just after clarification about
conventions and rules around licensing in submitted patches. I assume that
new files should be explicitly ASL 2.0 licensed, but scanning through some
of the latest additions to the trunk (from JENA-29) I see at least one
file[1] with the legacy BSD footer.

Aside from the actual license, what's the preference of committers for
including it in the source? Again, I see a bit of a mix of approaches in the
latest patches that I've read (JENA-29 and JENA-45 principally) and just
want to make sure I'm consistent in any patches I submit.

Last but not least, what's the right thing to do in case we take one or two
files from an external project which is ASL 2.0 licensed and we change the
code to adapt it to our needs? Do we need to leave the original
license/copyright headings? Do we change them and point at where the
original code comes from? (I have this situation with JENA-44).