From Brian McBride <>
Subject Re: Jena documentation - new structure working notes
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:27:33 GMT
Hi Paolo,

On 18/02/2011 12:03, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Hi Brian,
> thanks for joining the conversation. Comments inline.
I hope I am not muddying the waters.  I think Ian has some clear
principles in mind and I don't want to frustrate that.  I just wanted to
add a suggestion to the discussion rather than advocate a position.
> Are you proposing to add a section in the first-level hierarchy named
> "Moodules"?
Maybe.  I have failed to figure out what where this first-level
hierarchy appears.  Is it the main text on the top level page?  Is it a
menu on the left?
> Homepage
>   +-- About (
>   +-- Download ([...]/download/)
>   +-- Getting Started ([...]/getting-started/)
>   +-- Documentation ([...]/documentation/)
>   +-- Modules ([...]/modules/)
>        +-- Jena Library (how should we call it?)
>        +-- ARQ ([...]/modules/arq/) or ([...]/arq/)?
>        +-- SDB
>        +-- TDB
>        +-- Fuseki
>        +-- Joseki
>   +-- Getting Involved|Community ([...]/community/)
If its a menu on the left, that is the sort of thing I had in mind,
though Ian's point about referring to functionality rather than names
seems like a good one.

> My suggestion would be to keep "Download" and "Getting Started" and
> "Documentation" as a first level and explain the difference subsystems/
> modules in the textual content of the page. Since, if you are new to
> Jena, you will not know what module to chose.
That is what I had in mind.
> The "Documentation" as a first level will allow us to have a single
> entry point to the documentation and construct a learning path for
> the user.
Just so.

View raw message