From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Jena documentation - new structure working notes
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:02:50 GMT
Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Comments welcome.

Hi Ian,
once again, thanks for starting this thread.

The fact that we need a website and documentation is obvious and
it's given for granted.

But, "why" do we want a website?

The aim has not been clearly stated, so far.

If you ask me and in the context of an Apache project, the overall
aim of a Jena website is to have as much (happy) people as possible
using Jena (i.e. increasing user base and supporting current users).
We should aim at quickly move them from new users to expert as quick
as possible and with a self-service process as possible.
Finally, the ultimate goal is to transform expert users from users
to developers, contributors and, maybe, (smart) committers.

In less words, the website should be tuned at growing a community
around Jena. Therefore, in my opinion, we need to think about those
steps and movements and make it as easy as possible for everybody
who might be interested.

How are we going to transform new users into expert users?

How are we going to transform expert users into developers/contributors?

So, why do we want a website?

What's our aim? Or, our aims?

Once our aim is clear, we can check why we do something and we can
ask ourselves if that is useful in achieving our aim or not. We can
also focus on the aim(s) and check what's missing.

View raw message