From Thorsten Möller <>
Subject Re: Jena documentation - new structure working notes
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:52:48 GMT
Hi Paolo,

wow, I feel honored by such a detailed reply - my reply will be shorter ... ;-)

Am 19.02.2011 um 12:56 schrieb Paolo Castagna:

> You are probably right, if it is counterintuitive and confusing for
> you it is probably confusing for others.
> And, you are right, the "Roadmap" I meant is about Jena as software
> project, not the "Community" or not about how to people can become
> more active "Getting Involved" with the Jena project.
> However, I fear "opposition" proposing the "Roadmap" as a top level
> item in the global navigation, simply because Jena has never had a
> written down roadmap on the website, people are reluctant to write
> new content (since we are all busy) and some might not even like to
> have an explicity roadmap
My wording was not optimal. I meant to say that a roadmap is of primary interest, not necessarily
placed top-level. If you ever going to have one -- I see the additional effort and the pros
and cons very well -- then place it, for instance,

About Jena --> Roadmap

> About "to be implemented in the future" I see a difference between a
> roadmap (i.e. near future == next release or so) and a wish list
> (i.e. longer term future == next year or so).

> I see a roadmap as something we have already started working on it or
> we are going to start working on it very soon.
Yes, there is this difference between a roadmap and a wishlist.

> Do you think of a good reason why Jena should not have a roadmap?
No. I see reasons to take the time to maintain one (as it is an indicator of quality and of
a vital project) even if it is just a minimal effort enumeration.

> What I propose is one roadmap page on the Jena website, short,
> a few paragraphs to explain what we are doing and why and if there
> are JIRA issues we should link to those.
Exactly. Just one additional comment. You might want to group it for Jena, ARQ, TDB, SDB,
Joseki, Fuseki, IRI(?) as they can be considered (independent but related) projects of their
own under the Jena "umbrella".

BTW, where would I find documentation about IRI (if I wanted to use it independently of any
other project)? Will it be represented as a first-class citizen next to ARQ, TDB, and so on?

View raw message