From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: SPARQL 1.1 Update in ARQ 2.8.7
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 15:25:24 GMT

An immediate answer to part of your message.  I need to think some more
about the main part to give a considered response.

On 27/01/11 23:35, Stephen Allen wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> Yes, I can submit a patch for this to JIRA.  Do you need a contributor
> agreement from me now that Jena is part of Apache?

If anyone puts code on the Apache JIRA, then there is an software grant
to Apache if you tick the right box.

Software grant covers a specific artifact - it's a one-off, unlike a
contributor agreeement which covers future contributions and is needed
by anyone adding directly to the subversion repository.

On the "attach file" page, there's a tick box for:

Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache
License §5) [see below]

Contributions intended for inclusion in ASF products (eg. patches, code)
must be licensed to ASF under the terms of the Apache License. Other
attachments (eg. log dumps, test cases) need not be.
The other tick box is "Attachment not intended for inclusion".

For a very large patch or major new functionality, we should ask for a
signed software grant form.

So, we don't need a contributor agreement - we do need the tick box ticked.

§5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by
You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this
License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the
above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any
separate license agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding
such Contributions.

View raw message