From Andy Seaborne <>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:15:20 GMT

On 09/12/10 10:46, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> On 8 December 2010 18:10, Leo Simons<>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Paolo Castagna
>> <>  wrote:
>>> Either we find a way to automate this (and it will be quick),
>>> or we must tell the users to switch and it's up to them to
>>> decide if they want to do it and when.
>> When people post on apache mailing lists anything they post is
>> 'automatically' Contribution to the apache software foundation (per
>> the apache license and per the CLA [1]). This is a difference from the
>> current jena-dev@yahoo. So auto-subscribing people in bulk is bad,
>> since it makes them rather less aware of that difference.
>> There's possible hairy discussions about etiquette/privacy/etc as well
>> ("Given yahoo groups privacy policy, is it acceptable to give this set
>> of e-mail addresses to the ASF?"), but because we have this legalese
>> argument anyway, we don't have to go into those discussions.
>> Convenient :)
> Good point, and another reason to do the switch as soon as possible.
> We are left with the problem of when do we tell people they should
> switch mailing list and how persistently we tell them.
> I am in favour of "as soon as possible" and an "hard-line" approach.
> Paolo

I'm not - I think we have to manage the transition so as to not
discourage users.  Users are what matter.  We do have a lot of mentions
of jena-on-yahoo in documentation and I don't want to drop people using
older minor versions.

That means continuing to answer questions sent to jena-on-yahoo.  I'm
only just coping with the email flow there at the moment so I'm hardly
keen to generate more work but I don't feel we can just drop jena-on-yahoo.

So I suggest we all start mentioning the existence of the new list.  We
can see how the migration flow goes, and make a pragmatic decision as to
what to do when we get a sense for the switch over.

View raw message