From Paolo Castagna <>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:38:12 GMT
Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 07/12/10 10:00, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> On 06/12/2010 23:09, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>> It's welcome. Send it to and see what the
>>> reaction is.
>> No - the corect dev list is now which is
>> where this proposal was sent.
>> During the changeover people might want to flag important messages on
>> the old list with instructions on how to join this one but do not fork
>> the conversations - it will damage your community.
> Ross -
> is the user list (it's name is historic - when
> Jena was small there was only one list, and that became the one all the
> user questions were on so).
> As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
> process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.

Why will it be a slow process?

What are the advantages in making it a slow process?

Either we find a way to automate this (and it will be quick),
or we must tell the users to switch and it's up to them to
decide if they want to do it and when.

I would prefer the switch to be as quick as possible and not
have a time where we have two active lists. Of, if we have two
active list, in one (i.e. we should
just say something like: this is not the correct mailing list,
please, subscribe to, bla, bla.

About the timing, I have a preference for sooner rather than
later. But not before everything from a point of view of the
infrastructure and accounts has been correctly setup.

> was the developers list.
> is the developers list.
> wil be the users list.
> I suggested Matthew send it to the current jena users list because it's
> active and mayeb we'll get more suggestions.
> We haven't even discussed the mechanics of how we might migrate the user
> list in detail.
> We haven't got the project infrastructure running at Apache yet, and
> don't know how to accept something submitted and I didn't want Matthews
> contribution to get bogged down.
>     Andy

View raw message