From Dave Reynolds <>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:03:12 GMT
On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 14:38 +0000, Paolo Castagna wrote:
> Andy Seaborne wrote:

> >> No - the corect dev list is now which is
> >> where this proposal was sent.
> >> During the changeover people might want to flag important messages on
> >> the old list with instructions on how to join this one but do not fork
> >> the conversations - it will damage your community.
> >

> > Ross -
> >
> > is the user list (it's name is historic - when
> > Jena was small there was only one list, and that became the one all the
> > user questions were on so).
> >
> > As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
> > process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.
> Why will it be a slow process?

Because we have 3000 list members who will, or won't, switch in their
own time. Plus hundreds of thousands of downloaded copies of Jena whose
included documentation points to the existing yahoo-group. Not everyone
uses the most recent version and tracks the details of what is going on,
we will have people turning up at the yahoo group for a *long* time to

> What are the advantages in making it a slow process?

> Either we find a way to automate this (and it will be quick),
> or we must tell the users to switch and it's up to them to
> decide if they want to do it and when.

We only have the latter option.

> I would prefer the switch to be as quick as possible and not
> have a time where we have two active lists. Of, if we have two
> active list, in one (i.e. we should
> just say something like: this is not the correct mailing list,
> please, subscribe to, bla, bla.

First, there would need to be a clear message to everyone when the
switch will happen and give interested people enough time to subscribe.

Second, for a long time after the official switch there will not only be
new questions to the yahoo list but a large number of listeners who
haven't yet moved. Are you advocating that from the instant of switch
over we never answer another question on yahoo but always ask people to
jump through another list registration hoop before getting an answer (or
seeing the answer to some else's question)? That's not the sort of
helpfulness we have previously striven for.

View raw message