From "Razvan Cojocaru" <...@razie.com>
Subject RE: A DSL for Apache Isis programming?
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:42:42 GMT
XText is a great external DSL in Eclipse - have you considered an internal
DSL: Scala? Many editors with content assist in all popular environments,
online etc...

Here's an example of a DSL in scala: http://squeryl.org/introduction.html or
the standard unit test framework: http://scalatest.org/

Extremely Java friendly too, since you can mix Java and Scala code, use any
Java class from Scala code and vice-versa etc.

Cheers,
Razie

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Haywood [mailto:dan@haywood-associates.co.uk]
Sent: October-04-12 3:26 AM
To: isis-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: A DSL for Apache Isis programming?

On 3 October 2012 15:08, Minto van der Sluis <minto@xup.nl> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> If Xtext is a class then XCore is an instance. In fact Xcore is
> probably implemented using Xtext.

Yeah, that's what I kinda guessed.

> For Isis you can create a whole new DSL unknown to others or you can
> reuse existing DSL's like XCore to populate the meta model.
>

> Another interesting project to have a look at is Mod4j -
> http://www.mod4j.org/

I see that mod4j builds on top of XText.  But it's code generation of the
various layers of the architecture is a solution to a problem that the naked
objects pattern already solves (we just do that gumph at runtime, not
compile-time).

And, as you say, it looks like it might have died as a project.

So... still think that XText is the place to start with this.

Thx for the discussion on this; interesting!

Dan