From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: move to git?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:59:24 GMT
On 11 June 2012 14:31, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We use git in DeltaSpike. The question is how much benefit it would bring
> for Isis.

I'm about to kick off a new project that is going to be using Isis, with
the resultant app also being licensed as open source.  We'll probably be
using github or similar for that.

As a consequence of the project, there are likely to be a number of
enhancements/fixes to Isis itself.  I was thinking that if Isis is hosted
on Git, then I can get the guy I'm working with sign an ICLA and thus be
able to "git pull" in any changes he might make on his clone of Isis.

> Git is really nice for some use cases but not so nice for others. E.g. no
> native line-ending conversion support, no binary support, etc

I think that there is reasonable support here.  I was going to mention
core.autocrlf property, but a quick google also threw up the .gitattributes
file, see [1]

> I've written up a comparison here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SVNvsGIT
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Git_At_Apache_Guide

Thanks for this; read with interest.

> It's quite some work and a few things like Jira commit tracking still
> doesn't work.
>

> LieGrue,
> strub

Thanks,