From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Qi4J
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:40:38 GMT
Yeah, I was aware  of Qi4J, though feel slightly guilty of not having
downloaded it and played with it directly.

>From what I gather, it's a clever bit of software, using Java interfaces to
meld together an runtime instance, very akin to traits in Scala.

It's  strongly aligned with the DCI concept, which Jim Coplien and also
Trygve Reenskaug (he the inventor of MVC and who wrote the forward to
Richard Pawson's thesis on Naked Objects) are into.  So DCI as a concept it
has pedigree.  But DCI isn't OO (as Isis is).  And, although I think I get
DCI as a concept, I'm not convinced by it, even though it does have
Trygve's name behind it.  Judge for yourself by reading [1], [2].

Another thing: Qi4j uses CQRS / event sourcing for its persistence.  That
seems to make sense for them for their use cases.  Isis addresses a
different set of use cases, though, I think.

Finally, Qi4J was started by Rickard Oberg.  He has a narrower view of REST
than me [3, last 7 minutes or so], which is further evidence that Isis and
Qi4J are designed for different things.

HTH
Dan

[1] http://www.artima.com/articles/dci_vision.html