From "Richardson, Jason - FSA, Kansas City, MO" <jason.richard...@kcc.usda.gov>
Subject RE: move to git?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:12:24 GMT
Thanks for the reply.  I was just curious.

Jason Richardson

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Haywood [mailto:dan@haywood-associates.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:07 AM
To: isis-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: move to git?

Hi Jason,
>From your question, I'm guessing CVS is what you use internally?

Being blunt, I don't think moving to CVS is either feasible, nor desirable.
 SVN - which we are currently hosted on - was originally designed to be a "better CVS"; and
I think it's generally recognized that it succeeded.

GIT meanwhile, has become massively popular recently, and is exceptionally good at encouraging
contributions - witness the "fork me on github" banners that one encounters everywhere.

The reason I'm suggesting we move to GIT, at least in some form, is that I can see it'll make
contributions easier, both for the project I'm starting on, and more generally to help build
the Isis community.  The fact that ASF now supports GIT, at least in part, also lends credence
to this... ASF is all about building communities, after all.

But perhaps you have a different perspective?

Dan
~~~~~~~~~~

On 12 June 2012 15:44, Richardson, Jason - FSA, Kansas City, MO < jason.richardson@kcc.usda.gov>
wrote:

> Sorry to side track, but what about CVS?
>

> Jason Richardson
> National Payments Service (NPS) Technical Lead USDA/FSA/AFAO/SCADG
> (Administrative and Financial Applications Office) (Service Center
> Accounting & Debt Group) Office Ph: (816) 823-5296
> Cubicle:  3NW024
> NPS I.T. Matrix (JIRA)
> NPS Email Groups Listing

If