From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject final Oid refactoring changes committed
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 06:45:37 GMT
Hi all (in particular, Rob and Kevin)...

as you might have seen, I did a chunk more commits on the Oid refactoring.
 I had a green build locally, but the overnight build was a little
inconclusive, because I had forgotten to commit a file or two.  As I write,
I've queued a further build up, so we'll see how it goes.

As per the previous email, this refactoring has impacted a lot of
components, and it is inevitable that some things are going to be broken...
some intentionally, some unintentionally.

Kevin/Rob...
when refactoring, I decided to comment out defunct code and put in its
replacement.  Thus, if you are reviewing a change and think I've made a
mistake (definitely possible), then hopefully it'll be that much easier to
detect.  What I'll do is to start deleting this commented out code now
going forward; I just wanted there to be a commit where it was relatively
easy to see before and after changes.

Kevin/Rob...
the other thing to be aware of is that I have intentionally broken the
serialization format for XML, SQL and NoSQL OS.  For example, the NoSQL
would serialize a "_type" and an "_id" property.  Nominally, now serializes
an "_oid" instead of both.  (In fact, it does still serialize the "_id",
but this is because Mongo requires such an id).

My rationale for doing this is that I wanted to get down to the simplest
possible code if I could.  If you (or anyone else, of course), have
deployed systems where there's a requirement to read "legacy" serialization
formats, then we can add back in some code just to address this requirement
(a decorator, perhaps?).  I would hope that this isn't a major piece of
work to do.

Rob...
Going back to last nights build, the NoSQL build failed because Mongo
server wasn't running on the build box... I don't ever recall us requesting
that to be set up for us, so am a bit confused as to how this used to be
green. Any ideas?

~~~
I'm sure there'll be some fall-out from this, but in general I'm happy
about how much simpler quite a lot of the code is.  In particular, I can
see that it ought to be quite easy to make the HTML viewer stateless .. the
PersistentRootAdapterMapping is probably not required, and we could also
probably serialize the TransientRootAdapterMapping info into a URL encoded
JSON stream and embed within the page.

~~~
Next steps... I hope to have some further time this week to work on Isis.
 What I want to do next is to build up the "TCK" application so that we can
get a canonical test app from which we can build some object store contract
tests.  Right now the various object stores are tested to differing levels
of completeness; having a TCK will make ensure a consistent level of
quality for the current object stores, and set a target for any new object
stores (eg the JPA object store I intend to revive, and the Cayenne object
store that Kevin has in his back pocket some where).

That's all for now.
Dan