From Iain Flynn <flyn...@cs.man.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Problem with non-support of Collections as arguments.
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:52:54 GMT
Hi Kevin,

> Sorry if I'm asking you to repeat yourself, but:
> I suppose, to take a few steps back, what is your actual application
> domain, i.e. an outline of one or two of the classes that you *want* to
> appear in the Isis viewers, and the kind of actions you want to expose?

The application domain is a catalogue of Japanese animation, the creators and writers/directors
of such, as well as characters and the IPs (Intellectual Properties) they belong to. An example
of a domain entity here would be Series (a kind of Adaptation), with a value for amount of
episodes, along with operations for adding characters to the series, adding alternative (different
language) names for the series, and so on.

> And where does Emfatic fit in?  In my mind, I'm imagining something
> like a UML tool, where you use a GUI to draw classes and their
> properties, then a code-generator produces the actual Java classes.
> Now you want to use Isis to manage (create) and render these classes
> onto a UI?

I'm using a text editor to define my domain classes, and then feed that into a code generator
to output domain classes which I can ideally slot right into an Isis project. An example class
in EMF would be the following:

class Adaptation {
	val Title[+] titles;
	ref IP[1] adaptationOf;
	op Title addToTitles(Title title);
	op String title();
}

the keyword val indicates that the variable is to be contained within the object, while ref
indicates a pointer (Title and IP are other domain classes). op defines a method and its name,
return type, and parameters. The [ ] are for multiplicity.

> And, to go one step more philosophical, what are actually trying to
> achieve with Isis?
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

The current objective I would say is to examine the possibility and practicality of integrating
a model-driven software development approach with the Isis framework in order to enable domain-driven
design using model-generated code that can then use the naked objects framework and its benefits
with Isis.

Hope that clears some things up.

Thank you again,

- Iain.