From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Isis release candidate 0.1.2-RC3-incubating
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 10:56:48 GMT
Hi Dan!

Are you ready for the next iteration? ;)

I fear I have to vote

-1

on the release.

I'm only looking at the sources distribution.zip since this is the only official thing an
Apache Software release contains (all other binaries are just nice goodies, but not part of
the official release).
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-042/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-RC3-incubating/

1.) The source zip contains a file apache-rat-0.8-SNAPSHOT.jar. This is nothing which belongs
to our source release.
I've also deleted it from our SVN repo.

The other parts look pretty good so far!

* key is fine
* sha1 is ok
* md5 is ok
* rat passes
* check on a few random samples for *.properties, pom.xml, *.java all had valid ALv2 headers
* LICENSE file is ok

A few parts are not 100% ok yet:

NOTICE file is ok _IF_ we only ship ALv2 licensed dependencies or category A licenses as noted
in [1].

IF we ship differently licensed jar dependencies in our binary distribution or samples or
'shade' them into an own private package within isis, then we must imo also mention those
licenses in our NOTICE files.
If we only reference those deps via maven, then not.

Those are the following files:

org.hamcrest:hamcrest-library:jar -> BSD
javax.mail -> CDDL
asm -> BSD
jmock -> BSD style
dom4j -> MetaStuff license (BSD style)
org.owasp.esapi:esapi -> BSD
json -> JSON license (BSD style)

org.htmlparser -> CPL-1.0. This worries me a bit, since it falls under the category B (reciprocal)
As far as I interpret the cat B section, we must add this to our NOTICE file, isn't?

xom:xom -> LGPL -> BLOCKER this is a catX license which we must not depend upon! This
seems to come as transitive dependency from org.owasp.esapi:esapi. Can we exclude xom:xom
without breaking functionality?

There are also a few javax.* dependencies from the java.net repo. Usually those packages are
CDDL, thus we should replace them with packages from geronimo-specs [2]

You can easily check the dependencies yourself too with
$> mvn dependency:list

LieGrue,
strub

PS: sorry that you have to do a release run once again, but if it helps: doing a proper review
is not much less work :D

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
[2] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/