From Dan Haywood <dkhayw...@gmail.com>
Subject [CANCEL] [VOTE] Apache Isis release candidate 0.1.2-RC3-incubating
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 20:12:33 GMT
[sigh]

Thanks, Mark, though, for your time in checking through the release.  I
had completely missed that LGPL dependency on XOM, which is really
annoying.  I need to change some source code to remove that dependency,
so the next RC might be delayed til I do that.

I don't think that anything is required in the NOTICE file for the other
category-a licenses, because we only reference them as dependencies on
Maven, we don't package them up or shade them.  However, since I'm gonna
have to cut another RC, I may as well add something to the NOTICE file
anyway.

And I'll definitely add an entry in NOTICE for that category-b license.
I'll double check the
src/main/appended-resources/supplemental-models.xml in case there are
any other category-b licenses that sneaked in also.

And, finally, I'll also change those javax.* dependencies to use the
Geronimo specs modules instead;  thanks for that link to them all.

Cheers
Dan

On 06/06/2011 11:56, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi Dan!
>
> Are you ready for the next iteration? ;)
>
> I fear I have to vote
>
> -1
>
> on the release.
>
> I'm only looking at the sources distribution.zip since this is the only official thing
an Apache Software release contains (all other binaries are just nice goodies, but not part
of the official release).
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheisis-042/org/apache/isis/isis/0.1.2-RC3-incubating/
>

> 1.) The source zip contains a file apache-rat-0.8-SNAPSHOT.jar. This is nothing which
belongs to our source release.
> I've also deleted it from our SVN repo.
>
> The other parts look pretty good so far!
>
> * key is fine
> * sha1 is ok
> * md5 is ok
> * rat passes
> * check on a few random samples for *.properties, pom.xml, *.java all had valid ALv2
headers
> * LICENSE file is ok
>

> A few parts are not 100% ok yet:
>
> NOTICE file is ok _IF_ we only ship ALv2 licensed dependencies or category A licenses
as noted in [1].

> IF we ship differently licensed jar dependencies in our binary distribution or samples
or 'shade' them into an own private package within isis, then we must imo also mention those
licenses in our NOTICE files.
> If we only reference those deps via maven, then not.
>
> Those are the following files:
>
> org.hamcrest:hamcrest-library:jar ->  BSD
> javax.mail ->  CDDL
> asm ->  BSD
> jmock ->  BSD style
> dom4j ->  MetaStuff license (BSD style)
> org.owasp.esapi:esapi ->  BSD
> json ->  JSON license (BSD style)
>
> org.htmlparser ->  CPL-1.0. This worries me a bit, since it falls under the category
B (reciprocal) As far as I interpret the cat B section, we must add this to our NOTICE file,
isn't?

> xom:xom ->  LGPL ->  BLOCKER this is a catX license which we must not depend upon!
This seems to come as transitive dependency from org.owasp.esapi:esapi. Can we exclude xom:xom
without breaking functionality?

> There are also a few javax.* dependencies from the java.net repo. Usually those packages
are CDDL, thus we should replace them with packages from geronimo-specs [2]

> You can easily check the dependencies yourself too with
> $>  mvn dependency:list
>

> LieGrue,
> strub
>
> PS: sorry that you have to do a release run once again, but if it helps: doing a proper
review is not much less work :D