From Andrew Moores <a.s.moo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Smoke Test
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:51:46 GMT
Hi Dan

So, I cleared out my local repos and started from scratch following your updates.  After building
a new local copy of Isis and generating the archetype I ran Maven in offline mode and created
a new application.  I could then run the DnD viewer, using mvn antrun:run -D exec=dnd, in
the root of my new project.

I still had to specify the archetypeVersion but now there's a note on the site it shouldn't
trip anyone up in future ;-).

Thanks for helping me through the process.

Regards
Andrew

On 9 Apr 2011, at 13:10, Dan Haywood wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I've just updated the "Smoke Test" page on the wiki so hopefully it's not quite so confusing
to anyone else running through the process of SettingUpDevelopmentEnvironment [1] > BuildProcess
[2] > SmokeTest [3].

> Cheers
> Dan
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/SettingUpDevelopmentEnvironment
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/BuildProcess
> [3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ISIS/SmokeTest
>

> On 09/04/2011 12:06, Andrew Moores wrote:
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> I dropped the archetypeCatalog property from my maven build and when I run:
>>
>>     mvn archetype:generate \
>>             -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.isis.support \
>>             -DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart-archetype
>>
>> I end up with a standard empty Maven project because Maven doesn't resolve the archetype
from my local repo.

>> After a couple of attempts I found the following worked:
>>
>>     mvn -o archetype:generate \
>>             -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.isis.support \
>>             -DarchetypeArtifactId=quickstart-archetype \
>>             -DarchetypeVersion=0.1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT \
>>             -DarchetypeRepository=/Users/andrewmoores/development/applications/maven/repository
>>
>> The archetypeVersion is required.  It could be that I need to specify the archetypeRepository
because I'm using a non-standard location for my local repo.

>> So, happy days. I've built locally, created the archetype and then created an example
project from my local build of the archetype.  The following modules were created:

>>     dom
>>     fixture
>>     objstore-default
>>     quickrun
>>     tests-bdd
>>     tests-junit
>>     viewer-html
>>     viewer-restful
>>     viewer-scimpi
>>     viewer-wicket
>>
>> I did note that if you run this without the -o option you get the following info
messages:

>> [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.apache.isis.support:quickstart-archetype:jar:0.1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT'
in repository quickstart-archetype-repo (/Users/andrewmoores/development/applications/maven/repository)

>> [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.apache.isis.support:quickstart-archetype:pom:0.1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT'
in repository quickstart-archetype-repo (/Users/andrewmoores/development/applications/maven/repository)

>> But it still creates a new Isis project.
>>
>> Regards
>> Andrew
>>

>> On 9 Apr 2011, at 09:59, Dan Haywood wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>> You're right, those instructions on the wiki "smoke test" page need updating.
>>>
>>> Here's the scoop: when we first entered the incubator I wanted to document how
to build the source and try out an example app, mostly for the benefit of the other contributors
but also for anyone else (early adopter "users") who might be interested in exploring/trying
out Isis prior to us having pushed out our first formal release.

>>> Since then I've got our archetype working and published to the apache snapshot
repo, which means that early adopters don't need to go to all the hassle of building source
etc. But, as you've pointed out, that page on the wiki doesn't quite say that.

>>> That said, the version of the archetype on the snapshot repo is a little out-of-date;
I've updated it recently to also build/package a self-contained jar in the quickrun module.
  So if you do build from source then you can try out this updated version (just miss out
the 'archetypeCatalog' parameter so that mvn picks up from your local repo on ~/.m2

>>> Cheers,
>>> Dan
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

on the quick start page (http://incubator.apache.org/isis/quickstart-app.html).  I don't see
how this is testing what I've just built?  Did it create the new app using the artifacts installed
into my local repos when I built from source? (Maybe, this more of a Maven question).