From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Smoke Test
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2011 08:59:00 GMT
Hi Andrew,
You're right, those instructions on the wiki "smoke test" page need updating.

Here's the scoop: when we first entered the incubator I wanted to document how to build the
source and try out an example app, mostly for the benefit of the other contributors but also
for anyone else (early adopter "users") who might be interested in exploring/trying out Isis
prior to us having pushed out our first formal release.

Since then I've got our archetype working and published to the apache snapshot repo, which
means that early adopters don't need to go to all the hassle of building source etc. But,
as you've pointed out, that page on the wiki doesn't quite say that.

That said, the version of the archetype on the snapshot repo is a little out-of-date; I've
updated it recently to also build/package a self-contained jar in the quickrun module.   So
if you do build from source then you can try out this updated version (just miss out the 'archetypeCatalog'
parameter so that mvn picks up from your local repo on ~/.m2

Cheers,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 Apr 2011, at 18:12, Andrew Moores <a.s.moores@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just built from source and created a new app following the instructions on the quick
start page (http://incubator.apache.org/isis/quickstart-app.html).  I don't see how this is
testing what I've just built?  Did it create the new app using the artifacts installed into
my local repos when I built from source? (Maybe, this more of a Maven question).