From Mike Burton <mi...@mycosystems.co.uk>
Subject Re: Reports
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:07:36 GMT
Hi Nour,

I could put together a demo of how I do it at present, to give ideas of whether and how Isis
could do similar.

My current approach is to use Seam+RichFaces for the UI, and JasperReports for the report,
using the paid-for Jasper Assistant to do the report design / layout. For XLS and CSV I create
a second report layout that has no headings or totals etc.
I think JasperReports would be OK to use in Isis from a licensing pov? See http://fecplanner.com/jasperreports/docs/license.html

I'm currently working on an example that would make a good demo. I have finished the UI, I
could attach a link to it if you like, or the image itself, what would be best (do we have
a standard re attached images in emails?)

Best regards

Mike Burton

On 10 Dec 2010, at 14:20, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:

> Hi Mike...
>
>   I think this would be great, do you have any code which you can show a demo ?
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Mike Burton <mikeb@mycosystems.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Folks (mainly Dan),
>>
>> I'm posting this to the list rather than private email, but feel free to correct
my "list etiquette", I'm conscious to balance openness/ wide circulation  against  keeping
the list short and on-topic.

>> To improve my understanding of Isis and to establish new potential features, I'm
adopting a "devil's advocate" approach by looking at features I add to my projects and asking
"can (or should) Isis do this"

>> In this way I thought of _reports_, with filtering, sub/totals, and output to PDF/
CDR/ XLS.
>> The data to report on may be Domain Objects, or joins / query results (perhaps "ViewModels"
ie similar to "Views" in database parlance.)