From Dan Haywood <dkhayw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reports
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:02:34 GMT

On 14/12/2010 21:01, Mike Burton wrote:
> Many thanks Dan,
>
> My Report class does similar to PdfRenderService&  XlsGenerationService etc, I should
probably spilt it into separate classes, with adapters for each platform (seam, jsf, servlet...)
I could then see generation&  customisation of layouts working in a similar way to Facelets
Views, so will give it more thought.
Looks like we're on the same page, interested to see what you come up with.

> Might there be a better name for it than "view model" btw?
I called it "process object" pattern in my book, though that was really
only half the story since I was talking mostly about input of data for a
specific use case, eg a wizard.  A name I had come up with for an object
designed for output was "report object".

But the term "view model" seems to be catching on, at least in the .NET
world, so I'd be happy to adopt it to instead of either of the above terms.