From "Kevin Meyer - KMZ" <ke...@kmz.co.za>
Subject Re: parameterizing the docbook references to the DTD
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:27:28 GMT
See below

> I think whatever approach we end up with for this issue, it will be
> necessary to support editing in XmlMind.
>
> Rather than parameterizing the reference to the DTD (which from your
> commit below looks like it's turning out to be problematic anyway)
> perhaps another option might to use an svn:externals property.  This
> allows us to create the equivalent of symbolic links in each directory.

almost..

> For example, given:
>
> a/foo
> a/b/bar
>
> if you wanted to reference "foo" relative to a/b, you would create an
> svn:external property for a/b with a value "../foo foo"

The websites[1][2] and help file [3] I've been reading specifically say
that relative paths do not work (as source).

> Might be worth experimenting with?

I don't think so. The svn:properties seems to me to still just be a
method of merging other subversion repository locations into an
existing managed tree. I don't see how it can be used to ensure that a
resource is available at a known (fixed) location.

The fact that I can't get the maven docbook plugin to parse the text in
the <!DOCBOOK ...> header is the killer. So I come back to one of
two suggestions:
1) Keep the docbook references relative to the trunk directory.
2) Specify an acceptable global directory (like /tmp/isis) and run a
script to ensure that the /trunk/resources/docbook-xml-4.5 directory is
copied there.

Option 2 will ensure that all references can find it in the same place.
Option 1 requires that scripts are run from trunk before documentation
gets built.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a parsing script that can be used
easily toggle between either of the two definitions?
a:
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
"file:/tmp/isis/resources/docbook-xml-4.5/docbookx.dtd">

b:
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd">

When I open any of the docbook files with XML Mind, e.g.
trunk/alternatives/remoting/src/docbkx/guide/isis-remoting.xml
XMLMind didn't seem affected by the relative path to the DTD?

Regards,
Kevin

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html
[2] http://beerpla.net/2009/06/20/how-to-properly-set-svn-
svnexternals-property-in-svn-command-line/
[3] svn help propset svn:externals