From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Suspend the Imperius project?
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:05:20 GMT

On Apr 4, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> All,
> Although the Apache Imperius project was successful in building an
> SPL implementation and had a successful release, there does not
> appear to be a sufficient Imperius community to warrant continued
> development at the Apache Software Foundation. I believe it is time
> to suspend development of the Imperius project at the Apache
> Incubator. I believe the Incubator status is "dormant".
>
> The Apache Attic is used to maintain dormant Top Level Projects (http://attic.apache.org/

> ). The Apache Attic is not for Incubator Podlings, however. The
> Incubator process is to "terminate" or "suspend" the podling.
>
> I would like to note that this in no way reflects on the quality of
> the Imperius software codebase or the past actions of the Imperius
> community. It is simply an acknowledgement that we do not have
> enough sufficient community involvement to keep the Imperius project
> going.

I agree. It's up to the community whether the project continues or
not. I think we have consensus that Imperius is not going to graduate
out of the incubator on the current trajectory.

There's not a lot of history to guide us here. I think that the main
tasks are marking the repository read-only, disabling the email lists,
and posting the final status on the web site.

Craig

> Comments? Opinions?
>
> --kevan

Craig L Russell