From David Wood <daw...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Future of Imperius
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:55:23 GMT
+1, I'm debugging through Java bindings as we speak...

David Wood
Policy Technologies Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)

From:
Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>
To:
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
03/24/2010 01:39 PM
Re: Future of Imperius
Sent by:
Craig.Russell@Sun.COM

It looks like the community is small (11 committers including 4
mentors), but they have been able to produce a release that was voted
and shipped. Not a small task considering everything.

I'd say it's time to see if there is enough diversity and an
interested enough community to graduate Imperius as a top level
project. I don't see another TLP that would be a good fit.

The diversity standard is three committers independent of each other.
 From what I know, there are two major organizations, Sun(Oracle) and
IBM who are involved, and I know there are unaffiliated committers,
but I don't know the affiliations of most of the non-Sun(Oracle), non-
IBM folks.

Who is out there who is interested in continuing to be part of the
community? Please speak up now. Like by April 1.

I agree with Kevan that we should announce the result of this thread
in our April report to the incubator and make a decision by July on
whether to shut this down or graduate it.

Craig

On Mar 24, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> Oops. Let this slip by without responding... Apologies.
>
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:59 PM, David L Kaminsky wrote:
>> I think the lack of response to this e-mail kind of summarizes the
>> state pretty well.
>>
> :)
>>
>> IMO, Imperius is an excellent implementation of a policy engine,
>> but either (a) it hasn't been well publicized, so only a small
>> number of groups are using it, or (b) there is currently only a
>> small group of potential users. Or some of both.
>>
> To be clear, my comments / questions have nothing to do with the
> quality of the Imperius implementation nor with any of the
> committers on the project.
>>
>> That puts the project in an intermediate state -- a small user
>> base, perhaps growing very slowing, but with no immediate
>> expectation of accelerating growth.
>>
>> If there were a substantial cost to keeping Imperius going, I think
>> it would make sense to shut it down. However, I don't think that's
>> true.
>>
>> Unless there's a clear reason to shut it down -- and perhaps there
>> is one -- I'd suggest just seeing how it goes for awhile. I'd also
>> wonder if there are ways to better publicize the work.
>>
>> Anyway, just my 2 cents ...
>>
> Apache is interested in fostering healthy, diverse, meritocratic
> communities around open source projects. Incubation is not intended
> to be a never-ending process. I think we should put a timeline for
> making a community decision.
>
> Our next board report is April. The subsequent report is July. I
> propose we make the July Incubator board report a target for
> reaching a decision about what we think should happen to the
> Imperius community.
>
> What do others think?
>
> --kevan

Craig L Russell