From David L Kaminsky <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Future of Imperius
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:59:50 GMT

I think the lack of response to this e-mail kind of summarizes the state
pretty well.

IMO, Imperius is an excellent implementation of a policy engine, but either
(a) it hasn't been well publicized, so only a small number of groups are
using it, or (b) there is currently only a small group of potential users.
Or some of both.

That puts the project in an intermediate state -- a small user base,
perhaps growing very slowing, but with no immediate expectation of
accelerating growth.

If there were a substantial cost to keeping Imperius going, I think it
would make sense to shut it down.  However, I don't think that's true.

Unless there's a clear reason to shut it down -- and perhaps there is one
-- I'd suggest just seeing how it goes for awhile.  I'd also wonder if
there are ways to better publicize the work.

Anyway, just my 2 cents ...

David

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>
                                                       |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
                                                 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |03/05/2010 02:43 PM
                                                 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Future of Imperius

Things have been quiet again.

I'm curious to hear the communities thoughts on what should happen with
Imperius. Do you expect Imperius to graduate from the Incubator?

Incubation is not be a never-ending process. At some point, the project
needs to graduate (as a top-level project or as a subproject of an existing
top-level project) or we should close down the project.

What do others think?

--kevan