From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future of Imperius
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:29:57 GMT
Oops. Let this slip by without responding... Apologies.

On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:59 PM, David L Kaminsky wrote:
> I think the lack of response to this e-mail kind of summarizes the state pretty well.

:)

> IMO, Imperius is an excellent implementation of a policy engine, but either (a) it hasn't
been well publicized, so only a small number of groups are using it, or (b) there is currently
only a small group of potential users. Or some of both.

To be clear, my comments / questions have nothing to do with the quality of the Imperius implementation
nor with any of the committers on the project.

> That puts the project in an intermediate state -- a small user base, perhaps growing
very slowing, but with no immediate expectation of accelerating growth.

> If there were a substantial cost to keeping Imperius going, I think it would make sense
to shut it down. However, I don't think that's true.

> Unless there's a clear reason to shut it down -- and perhaps there is one -- I'd suggest
just seeing how it goes for awhile. I'd also wonder if there are ways to better publicize
the work.

> Anyway, just my 2 cents ...

Apache is interested in fostering healthy, diverse, meritocratic communities around open source
projects. Incubation is not intended to be a never-ending process. I think we should put a
timeline for making a community decision.

Our next board report is April. The subsequent report is July. I propose we make the July
Incubator board report a target for reaching a decision about what we think should happen
to the Imperius community.

What do others think?

--kevan