From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Imperius 1.0.0 rc2
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:32:20 GMT

On Nov 3, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Neeraj Joshi wrote:

> From:
> Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>
>
>> Unless you can convince me otherwise, I think the following files
>> need
>> an apache source license header:
>
>> ==./imperius-cimsplextension/build.properties
>>  ==./imperius-javaspl/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/javaspl/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-javasplextension/build.properties
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/spl/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/spl/core/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/spl/
>> datastore/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/spl/manager/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/util/
>> messages.properties
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/java/org/apache/imperius/util/
>> package.html
>>  ==./imperius-splcore/src/main/resources/org/apache/imperius/util/
>> messages.properties
>>  ==./imperius-spleditorcore/build.properties
>>  ==./imperius-spleditorcore/plugin.properties
>

> The files you listed below do not have any IP per se. The
> package.html are
> simply package level Javadocs giving a brief intro to what classes are
> included in that particular Java package.
> The build.properties and plugin.properties are eclipse specific
> properties
> file again with no IP data. Do they still require a license?

Here's ASF Policy -- http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

In particular:

A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements
or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a
file does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent
of the file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

>> The NOTICE file needs to be cleaned up, also. Please cleanup the
>> formatting. I don't see any Eclipse binaries being included (and also
>> don't see an EPL license in the LICENSE file). The IBM copyright date
>> for the initial contribution wasn't 2009. So, I'm not sure why it
>> would be 2009, now... And delete the "Please read the different
>> LICENSE files present in the lib directory of this distribution." I
>> don't see any non-Apache licensed materials and even if there were,
>> I'd want to see the licenses in the license file, not the lib/
>> directory.
>
> OK I will update the NOTICE and send it out to the dev list for review
> before spinning another release.
>
>> I don't know how to actually use Imperius. And don't see any
>> instructions on what to do with it. Perhaps I'm missing them?
>
> There are READMEs located inside the binaries but I agree they are
> buried
> inside. I will create one for the top level
>
>> I'd like to see the KEYS file in svn -- e.g.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/imperius/KEYS
>
> OK

Thanks.

--kevan