From "Reza Asadollahi" <rasad...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject my experience with Imperius
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:25:59 GMT
Hi everybody,

Regarding the discussion on releasing Imperius, I would like to share my
experience with this framework and hope it is helpful.

In short, it needs a comprehensive testing before release.

There are many cases that you get a RuntimeException or PolicyException and
you don't know what the reason is. The exceptions need to be more
informative. For example, if there is an error in the SPL syntax it is
really helpful to show the wrong part of it or the line number in the
exception. There are also several cases that you don't get error at policy
compile time but you get an exception at runtime and the reason is a syntax
error also (e.g. if you have two anchor objects with the same class and you
have separate import statements in the policy). Unfortunately, I don't have
the log of all these errors and I just tried to find a work around for my
problems while was working with Imperius.

I have also needed to:

*	check if an object is null in the policy (for example the return
result of an invoked method is an object and you want to see if it is null
then do something)
*	set a local variable in defined in the "Declaration" in the
"Decision" section
*	automatic conversion of primitive data types to their objects (int
to Integer, long to Long.) in policies as Java does

I can also submit the requests to JIRA if they make sense to other members.

Regards,

Reza