From David Wood <daw...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Framework above existing Imperius
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:05:48 GMT
All,

Our group has designed and developed a layer of functionality on top of
Imperius, including the following:

Extended Policy object that includes metadata such as name, attributes and
the ability to get instances information
Policy repository - persistent or in memory storage of Policy objects an
the ability to activate and deactivate policies.  Policies can be queried
by activation and/or attributes.
PEP - a policy evaluation point, which defines the set of instances to be
provided at evaluation time, and an optional set of attributes for
matching with policies.
PDP - a policy decision point, which allows PEP to register and acquire
evaluations.  It also holds policies in a policy repository.
PolicyManager - connects to a PDP for policy management and discovery of
registered PEP.
Simulation - provides the ability to define PEP via instance providers and
to run the PEP over policies deployed through a policy manager.

Some of this overlaps with existing Imperius components such as DataStore,
PolicyRepository and PolicyManager, but I think you will find the above
are a superset of the functionality there (that is the intent anyway).

 We'd like to propose including some or all of this framework in Imperius.
 Is there interest?  If so, I can provide a set of javadoc for the
library.

David Wood
Network Server System Software Group
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
dawood@us.ibm.com
914-784-5123 (office), 914-396-6515 (mobile)