From David L Kaminsky <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: policy analysis support
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 20:47:18 GMT

To me, it only makes sense if the needed changes aren't detrimental to the
rest of the code (do no harm) and someone is willing to make them.

David,

             Xiping
             Wang/Watson/IBM@I
             BMUS                                                       To
                                       imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
             09/02/2008 03:30                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: policy analysis support
             Please respond to
             imperius-dev@incu
             bator.apache.org

All,

Just wanted to clarify the e-mail I sent out this morning.

We have no interest in contributing the source code of the policy analysis
package to Imperius, but we will make the analysis module to work with
Imperius and we will make the module available through other distribution
channels.
This requires Imperius to open hocks for the analysis module to access the
internals of Imperius and also to provide additional information needed by
the analysis module. Are people in the Imperius team interested to make
such changes?

Regards,

Xiping Wang
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center

Inactive hide details for David L Kaminsky/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUSDavid L
Kaminsky/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

                         David L
                         Kaminsky/Rale
                         igh/IBM@IBMUS

                         09/02/2008
                         12:49 PM                     imperius-dev@incubat
                                                      or.apache.org

           Please respond to                                            cc
   imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

                                                                   Subject

                                                      Re: policy analysis
                                                      support

I agree: seems like a nice addition. -- David

"Mark A. Carlson" ---09/02/2008 10:53:27 AM---Xiping,

                                                 "Mark
                                                 A.
                                                 Carls                  To
                                                 on"
                                                 <Mark       imperius-dev@
                                                 .Carl       incubator.apa
                                                 son@S       che.org
                                                 un.CO                  cc

                                                 Sent              Subject
                                                 by:
                                                 Mark.       Re: policy
                                                 Carls       analysis
                                                 on@Su       support
                                                 n.COM

                                                 09/02
                                                 /2008
                                                 10:52
                                                 AM

                   Please respond to
           imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

Xiping,

I think this would be a great addition.

Xiping Wang wrote:
> All,
>
> We, at IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, have been developing a policy
> analysis module on top of Imperius that allows a policy writer perform
the
> following tasks automatically.
> 1) Dominance check: finding if a policy is dominated by other policies,
> thus removing redundancy among policies.
> 2) Simultaneous applicability check: finding if two policies are
> simultaneously applicable, thus preventing potential conflicts at
> specification time.

Can you define what you mean by applicability?
> 3) Coverage check: finding if a set of policies covers all the sensor
> spaces required, thus ensuring policies specified adequately.
> 4) Meta policy based conflict detection/resolution: detecting/resolving
> conflicts at runtime.

As in the same conditions elicit conflicting actions?
> 4) Rule-based policy transformation: allowing transformation of abstract
> policy into concrete policies or vice versa.

Abstract in the OO sense?
> The package implements advanced algorithms for policy analysis and
requires
> certain changes to be made to the current Imperius implementation for
> integration.

Any IP regarding this new work?

-- mark