From David L Kaminsky <...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: policy analysis support
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:49:20 GMT

I agree: seems like a nice addition. -- David

             "Mark A. Carlson"
             <Mark.Carlson@Sun
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
             Mark.Carlson@Sun.                                          cc
             COM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: policy analysis support
             09/02/2008 10:52
             AM

             Please respond to
             imperius-dev@incu
             bator.apache.org

Xiping,

I think this would be a great addition.

Xiping Wang wrote:
> All,
>
> We, at IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, have been developing a policy
> analysis module on top of Imperius that allows a policy writer perform
the
> following tasks automatically.
> 1) Dominance check: finding if a policy is dominated by other policies,
> thus removing redundancy among policies.
> 2) Simultaneous applicability check: finding if two policies are
> simultaneously applicable, thus preventing potential conflicts at
> specification time.

Can you define what you mean by applicability?
> 3) Coverage check: finding if a set of policies covers all the sensor
> spaces required, thus ensuring policies specified adequately.
> 4) Meta policy based conflict detection/resolution: detecting/resolving
> conflicts at runtime.

As in the same conditions elicit conflicting actions?
> 4) Rule-based policy transformation: allowing transformation of abstract
> policy into concrete policies or vice versa.

Abstract in the OO sense?
> The package implements advanced algorithms for policy analysis and
requires
> certain changes to be made to the current Imperius implementation for
> integration.

Any IP regarding this new work?

-- mark