From Neeraj Joshi <jnee...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: policy analysis support
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:27:40 GMT
I agree this is can be a great addition to Imperius
"The light at the end of the tunnel...may be you"

Neeraj Joshi
WebSphere XD - Compute Grid
AIM, IBM
Apache Imperius - http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

Xiping Wang/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
09/02/2008 11:04 AM
Please respond to
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: policy analysis support

"Mark A. Carlson" <Mark.Carlson@Sun.COM>

"Mark A. Carlson" <Mark.Carlson@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Mark.Carlson@Sun.COM
09/02/2008 10:52 AM

Please respond to
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

cc

Subject

Re: policy analysis support

Xiping,

I think this would be a great addition.

Xiping Wang wrote:
> All,
>
> We, at IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, have been developing a policy
> analysis module on top of Imperius that allows a policy writer perform
the
> following tasks automatically.
> 1) Dominance check: finding if a policy is dominated by other policies,
> thus removing redundancy among policies.
> 2) Simultaneous applicability check: finding if two policies are
> simultaneously applicable, thus preventing potential conflicts at
> specification time.

Can you define what you mean by applicability?

It means that a policy will be applied if it's condition is evaluated
true.

> 3) Coverage check: finding if a set of policies covers all the sensor
> spaces required, thus ensuring policies specified adequately.
> 4) Meta policy based conflict detection/resolution: detecting/resolving
> conflicts at runtime.

As in the same conditions elicit conflicting actions?

Two policies can be applied simultenously, but with conflicting actions.

> 4) Rule-based policy transformation: allowing transformation of abstract
> policy into concrete policies or vice versa.

Abstract in the OO sense?

Abstract means high level goals that can not be enforced.

> The package implements advanced algorithms for policy analysis and
requires
> certain changes to be made to the current Imperius implementation for
> integration.

Any IP regarding this new work?

I believe this needs to be worked out with IBM management and lawyers.

-- mark