From Neeraj Joshi <jnee...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse Editor for SPL checked in
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:08:33 GMT
Hi Craig,
Let me explain the changes I made to the build and then I'll explain the
rationale

1. I added a javaspl_runtime_pom.xml with only the runtime modules listed
in it
2. I modified the original pom.xml to have the editor modules (in addition
to the runtime)
3. I updated the build.xml to have 2 targets a) To build everything b) To
build the runtime only (default)

My goal here was to allow people to build the runtime without forcing the
people to build the editor also.
So when you ran mvn from the trunk I think it used the pom.xml which lists
all the modules and the build failed as the repository hadn't been primed
up for eclipse.

One possible solution would be to switch the names so that the default
pom.xml only has the runtime modules and then mvn command from trunk would
work

For the editor build
1. After struggling a while with using maven for eclipse feature building,
 I figured I would adapt our original ANT build to work with the MAVEN (I
am hoping the community will help out
with a maven only solution)
2. I use maven to compile the src part of the eclipse plugins and then I
use the driver ANT build to package the files the way eclipse needs.
3. In order to make maven build the plugin src the prereq eclipse plugins
need to be added to the maven repository hence the need to run that
command in my previous mail
4. Regarding the need to have an ANTLR variable set. The generated plugin
package needs to have the antlr.jar I have seen some maven mojos to
download all prereqs but I
didn't want to do that as it would bring the rest of the eclipse jars down
also.
 I could potentially do that and later delete all but antlr if thats
acceptable?

Suggestions/Comments?

Thanks
Neeraj

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

http://incubator.apache.org/imperius

Neeraj Joshi
Autonomic Computing Policy Development
Tivoli, IBM

Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Craig.Russell@Sun.COM
01/15/2008 02:43 PM
Please respond to
imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Eclipse Editor for SPL checked in

Hi Neeraj,

On Jan 15, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Neeraj Joshi wrote:

> Hi Erik,

Actually, it's Craig with the problem.

> Couple of things
> 1) Are you just building the samples modules or the whole thing?

I just did this:

"I tried to build the samples by cd imperius/trunk; mvn and got this:"

> 2) Not sure if you looked at the build instructions for the editor
> on the
> website but basically you need to do the following:

No, I didn't read any build instructions. I just did a mvn build from
the trunk.

> a.      First configure the maven repository with eclipse plugins.
> To do
> this on a command prompt run mvn eclipse:make-artifacts -
> DeclipseDir= <
> ECLIPSE_HOME >

Is there a reason this mvn goal isn't declared as a mvn dependency?

> b.      Make sure ANTLR_HOME is set

If ANTLR is a dependency, it should be available via mvn directly. I
don't have any problems with ANTLR in other projects (or in this one
either).

Craig