From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: test cases
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:54:50 GMT
Hi Neeraj,

On Jan 9, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Neeraj Joshi wrote:

> Hi Erik,
> So the sample policies were designed as test cases to test the major
> features of SPL.
> That was one of the reasons why they were part of the JavaSPL module
> initially (shipping them as samples was an after thought).
>  We have a couple of 'ComputerSystem' related polices those are
> more like
> samples (and there are no junit tests associated with them)
>
> I agree that pure unit tests that don't require visual inspection
> would be
> ideal but IMO its a non-trivial task. If you like we can setup
> conference
> calls to discuss this in more detail?

Conference calls tend to be problematic with Apache projects. They
are difficult to set up due to time zone issues; no decisions can be
made; anything discussed has to be published on the dev alias so
everyone can participate.

Basically, it's best just to use this dev alias for discussions...

Craig

> Thanks
> Neeraj

> "Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/imperius
>
> Neeraj Joshi
> Autonomic Computing Policy Development
> Tivoli, IBM

> "Erik Bengtson" <erik@jpox.org>
> 01/09/2008 03:25 PM
> Please respond to
> imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org

> <imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> test cases
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm promised to provide some test cases, but in the form the tests are
> coded
> now, you can only recognize failures by visual means. Secondly, the
> tests
> are not appropriately structured. See:
>
> Splcore has main classes and unit tests. OK
> Javaspl has main classes. OK
> JavaSPL-Samples has sample policies and sample API usage. It also
> has unit
> tests, but these can only be validated visually.
>
> I propose moving the tests from JavaSPL-Samples to JavaSPL, since
> samples
> should only contain samples, and rewrite these tests using junit
> assertions.
>
> I can patch those, but if beforehand you can review/apply the
> patches in
> JIRA it's great.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com