From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: subversion client configuration
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:55:14 GMT
Hi Kevan,

Other projects have voted to adopt either LF or native for svn:eol-
style.

If all developers use unix or a unix emulator for Windows, or a real
IDE, then LF is just fine. The only time LF doesn't work well is if
some developers use Windows tools like Notepad that only recognizes
CRLF as line endings. Do any such developers exist?

In any event, I think we should kick around which eol-style this
project should use, and then recursively change all text files to
that style.

Craig

On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> Taking a look at current codebase, I noticed some CR-LF issues in
> most/all of the files. Many of the files have inconsistent line
> endings (mix of DOS and Unix lineendings). Seems to have been an
> issue with how the license headers were inserted... (content of the
> license headers is another issue, which i'll discuss in another note).
>
> Also, most/all of the file types should have the svn:eol-style
> property set to native. This means the svn client will set the
> appropriate line-ending characters for your OS, when you check out
> files...
>
> I'll work on fixing up the line endings and setting the svn
> properties (e.g. svn propset svn:eol-style native foo). You can't
> do this until line inconsistencies are fixed... Oh maybe  thought
> there was a perl script/shell script that will help set these
> properties for the files that have already been committed, but I
> don't remember where it is... I'll keep look around some more...
> Recursive propset (svn propset -R) sets the property on all files
> and directories... After fixing the line ending inconsistencies,
> I'm using
>
> To avoid the problem in the future we should all configure
> subversion to set svn properties when new files are created. See
> the "Configuring the Subversion Client" section in http://
> www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html. A number of projects
> define their own svn properties (e.g. http://cwiki.apache.org/
> GMOxDEV/subversion-client-configuration.html or http://
> ode.apache.org/source-code.html). I'd suggest you start out using
> http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt
>
> --kevan

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com