From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Structure of the repository
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:07:37 GMT
Looks like I agree with all of Craig's comments. You'll definitely
want to look at a dependency management build system. I've never used
Ivy. If you're willing to follow the maven-way, then it works pretty
well and simplifies many tasks...

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Neeraj,
>
> On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Neeraj Joshi wrote:

<snip>

>> Another issue to discuss is what would be our release process - how
>> determine schedule, what criterion to use to promote a build to a
>> release
>> build etc
>
> All good questions. Take a look at the openjpa project as an example
> of a release process including branching and tagging.

There are release mechanics (copying to a branch, voting, tagging,
deploying artifacts, etc), which can be spelled out pretty explicitly.
Then there are more organic processes (e.g. determining release
content). The key to these are discussion via this dev list.

You'll need to lay out goals for the project and where you want the
project to end up (this can/will change over time). From this you can
start to define logically consistent release checkpoints along the
way. Important point in all of this is open communications. This is
also very important in helping to attract new contributors to the
project.

Scheduling of releases is hard. Creating target dates is useful in
focusing energies and prioritizing. However, schedules should be
secondary to working within the community and delivering function.

You can assume that the release process will take *much* longer than
you think it will. Getting the source code and release artifacts to
meet Apache standards will take significant time. The project and
incubator voting process can also be slow... Patience is a virtue... ;-)

--kevan