From "Recordon, David" <drecor...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r526301 - /incubator/heraldry/idp/pip/trunk/vendor/plugins/security_extensions/
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 17:13:47 GMT
I'm happy to try out Piston then, Dan do you have any thoughts on it?

svn_load_dirs.pl
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html) also
seems quite reasonable to use and it looks like Piston is basically
doing the same thing though a bit more Rails specific around plugin
version numbers versus just SVN commit numbers.

So I'm thinking that we try out Piston first unless Dan knows something
bad about it.

--David

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Pelletier [mailto:matt@eastmedia.com]
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 10:10 PM
To: heraldry-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r526301 -
/incubator/heraldry/idp/pip/trunk/vendor/plugins/security_extensions/

Piston uses svn's property setters/getters (which is what svn:externals
uses) to know which rev of the foreign repository you currently have.
When you want to "piston update" it will find the latest, pull it down,
diff and merge with your local copy.

I've switched to it for most projects where I used to use externals.
In some cases I prefer it because I don't want a Rails app to be
dependent upon changes in its plugins. In most cases I prefer it because
it's just more convenient.

Matt

Matt Pelletier
http://www.eastmedia.com -- EastMedia