From Matt Pelletier <>
Subject Re: Moving forward or moving out
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:10:28 GMT

On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:28 AM, Ted Leung wrote:

> Ok,
> Here's how I'd like to handle this.  If you want to continue to be
> a committer on Heraldry - which means that you actually worked on
> the Ruby PIP (since that's the only code we have left), then please
> reply and indicate that, and your affiliation.    You must do this
> yourself.  I will not be accepting a block submission of names for
> the new committer list.   If you can't be bothered to send this e-
> mail yourself, then you won't like the amount of work that it is
> going to take to get Heraldry going.
> Thanks,
> Ted

I am speaking only for myself, not the other Ruby PIP co-authors. I
have followed these discussions and have had mixed feelings about
what the right path might be for the Ruby PIP and for Heraldry in
general. Now that the Ruby app will be the only remaining part of the
codebase, it is my feeling that repurposing Heraldry just for this
application does not make sense. I/EastMedia will continue to support
and develop the application, and want to see the code and community
grow wherever it lives. If the other Ruby PIP committers wish to keep
the codebase here, then I wish to remain a committer as well and will
participate in the processes for deciding how/why to repurpose Heraldry.

If Heraldry shall fold, then I would like to migrate the code to
another repository (e.g. and along with anyone else
interested, be responsible for maintaining it there.

I certainly recognize the importance of process for OSS development
and why Apache enforces the rules that it does, and I am grateful for
the patience and effort that you, Bill, Noel and other members have
put into this project.

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> The Incubator PMC has been discussing Heraldry.  We need to make
>> it clear
>> that there is only one set of rules that will be tolerated here,
>> and those
>> are ours.  Anyone who is willing to abide by them is enthusiasticaly
>> welcomed to participate.  But anyone who isn't willing to abide by
>> our basic
>> rules for open, collaborative, development cannot be permitted to
>> trade on
>> the ASF's good name.
>> The Mentors are asked to submit a new Committer list and suggested
>> consisting of anyone who is prepared to operating under our rules,
>> and
>> expresses that interest.  If such a list cannot be produced, we're
>> prepared
>> to close the project.  But we do hope that there are sufficient
>> people
>> interested and willing to work on this project in an open and
>> collaborative
>> manner.
>> We would like this list by March 19, at which point we will either
>> replace
>> the commit ACL or remove it.
>> The revised group will be charged with reviewing the Heraldry
>> charter -- the
>> remaining scope of the project will need to be reevaluated in
>> light of the
>> changes -- and resubmitting that plan to the Incubator PMC for
>> review.
>> 	--- Noel

Matt Pelletier -- EastMedia -- The Mongrel Book -- OpenID, Identity 2.0

View raw message