From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: The OpenID Foundation
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 01:33:59 GMT
On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Recordon, David wrote:

> It was my hope that there was a way to work with two anchors to the
> OpenID community, one being openid.net and whatever comes of it and
> the
> other being Apache.  Not everyone is interested in everything (code,
> specs, evangelism) and I think OpenID is unique where there is such a
> crossover between the people participating in each of these often
> unconnected communities.  I mean take FtpServer as an example, the
> people who wrote the FTP spec aren't writing this Java
> implementation of
> it.

OpenID is not unique in this respect.  If you look at the various
Java/JCP projects there are cases where members of those projects are
also members of the appropriate JCP expert groups.

The separation of communities for specs and code is something that we
dealt with at the ASF for quite some time.  Again, the JCP process
and the W3C XML spec process come to mind as examples.

> There really is an emerging community to be built around code for the
> OpenID specifications which I think can develop within Apache.  If
> we're
> going to get hung up on who is developing the specs and owns
> openid.net
> then no, this separate code community won't emerge here.  If
> however we
> can acknowledge that any technology is made up of many independent
> pieces/groups and work here to develop a prosperous community around
> code that implements the specifications then I do think we can be
> successful.
>
> So I guess it is in the ASF's court to decide what you all want to do.

I can tell you that many ASF members (myself included) have a strong
aversion to seeing Apache become anything that looks like a standards
body, especially when there are plenty of standards bodies out
there.    If the OpenID foundation is just about the specs, then I
don't see a problem there.   In fact, some of the activities
mentioned in your message to the OpenID list discuss items which
would be a bad match for Apache, including combined marketing efforts
and so on.    Item 3 "A mechanism to provide and maintain hosting
infrastructure for the
OpenID community."  looks like it might possibly overlap with some of
what is happening with Heraldry.

Are you saying that development of OpenID code at Apache is
contingent on development of the OpenID spec at Apache?  If so, that
's a discussion that's going to have to go all the way to the board,
and likely the members.

Ted