From "Recordon, David" <drecor...@verisign.com>
Subject RE: What do do with Heraldy?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:33:02 GMT
I agree with Ted that those are the two main issues.  I think the
difference is that the community is now ready to address them where we
weren't in October.

I would propose that within a week from today the last batch commit is
made.  Within a week from that all license files are updated and we've
started the process of IP forms for the various initial commits (I
started one for VeriSign months ago but couldn't figure out how to do it
correctly).  So within two weeks from today all code is in, the license
issue is resolved, and IPR review is underway.

>From the day of the batch commit, it should be understood that all
discussions and bug tracking must occur on this list and in Jira.

I also think we should look at the committers list and refine as needed.

Thoughts?

--David

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Leung [mailto:twleung@sauria.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:26 PM
To: heraldry-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What do do with Heraldy?

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Ted wrote:
>>> David Recordon wrote:
>>> That is my understanding, though hope that Paul is willing to
>>> withdraw his veto with the understanding that this is the last block

>>> commit and issues such as the LGPL license will be resolved.
>
>> the policy changes under discussion in general@incubator.apache.org,
>> may make that last block commit unacceptable.
>
> If it would truly be the last of these issues, as David puts forward,
> suppose that it could be treated as part of an initial commit.
> When doing
> the initial commit, there is no way to have each author post their own

> part(s).

That was my original thinking.

> We recognize that there have been problems.  As you asked in one of
> your messages --
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-heraldry-dev/
> 200702.mbox/
> %3c8E2535BB-1845-47ED-818C-1F4B5C7CBDC8@sauria.com%3e -- on the
> whether or not this project is capable of the necessary changes in
> approach starting right now, or whether we have to terminate it?
>
> Ted, do you have a concise list of community changes that require
> immediate take up?  Something that we can use to evaluate the
> community's response to this call to shape up or ship out?  And I do
> mean immediate take up, since it seems that there is not a lot of
> patience left.

1. Start discussing development of Heraldry on the public mailing lists.
That means discussions BEFORE checkins. That means
participation from more than just David Recordon and Kevin Turner.
Look at this list of committers for Heraldry: <http://
incubator.apache.org/projects/heraldry.html>.  Now look at the mailing
list archives and see who has posted in 2007 (to keep it
simple).   We need to see some signs of life from those folks.  Along
with discussing, start voting on code related decisions.

2. Address the LGPL header issue that has been open since October.
Name a deadline (not longer than a week) and get it done.

In other words, the same two things that the mentors have been asking
for since October.

Ted