From Ted Leung <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: heads up / hosting buildbot
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:11:47 GMT

Hi Kevin,

See the comments inline - these apply to the entire Heraldry community.

On Jan 29, 2007, at 5:13 PM, Kevin Turner wrote:

> Dear fellow Heraldry members,
>
> [Short version: beware impending commit storm.  And where do we put
> buildbot?
> Read on for details.]
>
> It's no secret that there's been much grumbling and dragging of feet
> here in Portland about changing the tools and workflow we've used to
> develop our libraries over the past year and a half.  We tried to
> figure
> out some way to meet half-way and keep the best of both worlds, but
> that
> ended up being a lot of overhead for us and not working especially
> well
> for either us or the rest of the Heraldry.
>
> There have been several rounds of internal debate, and I've just come
> from the most recent one.  This time, I think the results were
> decisive.
> We are going to abandon darcs and use svn for all Heraldry projects.

I appreciate that you folks are experiencing pain on the tools and
workflow issues.   Depending on the project, that is not an unusual
experience for an incubated project.    I also appreciate that
switching from darcs to svn is a big deal for Janrain.    I am glad
to hear that the Apache svn will be the authoritative version control
for Heraldry.   However, there are still several issues which of high
priority to me, and most likely the other Apache mentors:

1. Silence on the dev-list.    We have had a very small amount of
traffic on heraldry-dev.   The recent burst of copied messages from
the openid list are traffic, but they are not directly about the
development of the Heraldry code base.    Again, I refer you to the
Incubator documents on committers: <http://incubator.apache.org/
guides/committer.html>.  In particular, let me highlight the phrase:
"As some people say, 'If it isn't in my email, it didn't happen.'
Decisions only get made on public Apache mail lists -- not anywhere
off list, such as IRC, IM, or private emails".    Folks, we are doing
terrible on this count, and I don't really see much sign of this
improving.   This needs to improve *hugely* in order for Heraldry to
have a chance of graduating from incubation

2. We still have files in the SVN which are LGPL licensed.    I've
asked for this to be corrected on two separate occasions:  <http://
mail-archive.com/heraldry-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg00079.html>
and <http://mail-archive.com/heraldry-dev%40incubator.apache.org/
msg00098.html>.  We really need to take care of this.

I mentioned both of these issues in this month's Incubator board
report.   For those of you who don't follow
general@incubator.apache.org, I'm quoting the following message from
ASF board member Cliff Schmidt <http://www.mail-archive.com/
general@incubator.apache.org/msg12301.html>:

> Incubator PMC,
>
> On behalf of the Board, I want to thank you for the latest status
> report.  There was one part of the report we would like to follow-
> up on:
>
> The report on Heraldry mentions a "single large block checkin",
> "almost no activity" on the dev list, and license problems not
> being responded to "despite requests from the mentors".  The Board
> requests that the Incubator PMC describe what action it plans to
> take about this situation in next month's report.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Cliff

The ASF board takes issues like this very seriously, and we as a
podling need to take these issues seriously.   We need to start
making some progress on all these issues, and we need to do it soon.

Ted