From Paul Querna <pque...@apache.org>
Subject Re: heads up / hosting buildbot
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:46:58 GMT
Kevin Turner wrote:
> Dear fellow Heraldry members,
>
> [Short version: beware impending commit storm.  And where do we put
> buildbot?
> Read on for details.]
>
> It's no secret that there's been much grumbling and dragging of feet
> here in Portland about changing the tools and workflow we've used to
> develop our libraries over the past year and a half.  We tried to figure
> out some way to meet half-way and keep the best of both worlds, but that
> ended up being a lot of overhead for us and not working especially well
> for either us or the rest of the Heraldry.
>
> There have been several rounds of internal debate, and I've just come
> from the most recent one.  This time, I think the results were decisive.
> We are going to abandon darcs and use svn for all Heraldry projects.
>
> However, there are some patches left in our write queue that we need to
> flush.  So later this week you'll see a burst of roughly sixty patches
> from me in libraries/python/openid/trunk, and some more from Jonathan in
> libraries/php.  After that, commits should come in at more regular
> intervals in more manageable quantities.

-1 to any burst of patches like that. No one will review them.
Absolutely No one.

If you want to contribute things that were done in the past like that,
start by sending each patch to the development list over the next month,
spacing them out, and allowing conversation at a normal pace.

Yes its a pain in the ass, but a 'burst' of patches like that is a
massive pain in the ass to everyone else in the community.

-Paul