From "Drummond Reed" <drummond.r...@cordance.net>
Subject RE: heads up / hosting buildbot
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:33:34 GMT
+1. Let's make it happen.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Recordon, David [mailto:drecordon@verisign.com]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 6:24 PM
To: heraldry-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: heads up / hosting buildbot

Replying to Ted's message, though also replying to Paul at the same time...

I think this developer community both understands and appreciates the issues
that the Heraldry project has.  To me, I see Kevin's message as a step in
the right direction.  It shows commitment on behalf of JanRain to change
their development practices and move to become a real part of Heraldry.
I've also been trying myself to write some code and engage this list over
the past week and intend to continue doing so.  There are others as well in
the CardSpace community who have expressed interest to me in donating code
to the project, though are unready to do so right now for one reason or
another.  Do I feel that anything we've done thus far is perfect, let alone
great; no.

With that said, I think this is the drop dead point of either this project
really gets up and moves forward or dies by its next board report.  I agree
block commits suck and are annoying, but if that is what it is going to take
so that real-time and active development can/will occur here, then I think
the pain it causes one final time is worthwhile.  Quite honestly, the OpenID
community is moving too fast to spread these commits out over the next
month, let alone figure out how to deal with commits that would happen
within the next month.  I also assume that updating the license from the
LGPL to ASFv2 would be part of this effort, as it seems Kevin's message
expresses real commitment to making this project succeed.

IMHO, we need this final chance to show that we can make this happen, and
yes we will stumble over The Apache Way from time to time, but at least this
one last block commit will give us the chance to deal with the other issues
Ted raised.  To me, this means we'll either succeed or go down in flames;
though not just give up now.

--David