From Ted Leung <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache release process
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:49:11 GMT
My apologies for the late reply -- I was travelling last week and am
just catching up on e-mail.

The document that you refer to is reasonably accurate, but as it
points out, it doesn't lay out a definitive release process, it just
gives guidelines for things that would be good to do.

 From where I sit, there are several obstacles to issuing a release
right now.

- there's been very little discussion of the work needed for this
release on heraldry-dev.   Since development of the software,
including planning and execution of releases is supposed to be done
by the community, it's hard to see how this has happened in this
case.    I think Jonathan's message is a good start to a discussion
on this topic
- there are some IP issues that still need clearing - the IP check
stuff on the project website in particular
- Last month when JanRain checked in a bunch of code, at least some
of that code was licensed on the L/GPL.   That alone would be a
showstopper for a release, since this is Apache and we use the Apache
License.   I sent a note about that to heraldry-dev and heard
crickets in response.

Also,  we haven't worked out much about the layout of SVN and whether
or not we are going to release individual components or suites of
components or what.    These are all issue that we ought to be
discussing on the mailing list.

Ted